Repairing/Restoring cameras, shutters, and lenses require some tools.
Some tools are basic, like screwdrivers, while others are more specialized. Good place to look for tools are Watch/Jewellery repair supply stores or Micro-Tools.
Cleaning is the one thing that always needs to be done, and even these items can be specialized.
Custom cut leatherette can be purchased from cameraleather.com or aki-asahi.com.
One item that is really not a “tool” but it is an essential tool to have … is Rick Oleson’s camera repair tech notes CD.
- These you will always need. You will need them in many sizes … the smaller the better. Get a good set of mini/precision slotted screwdrivers, and don’t go cheap as those will always break the tip the first time you use them.
- #00 stainless is a nice one. You might want to also pick up a couple of cheap ones so you can bend the end to get at things in odd places.
- Great for cleaning small spaces but they do leave threads behind.
- Great when you get into leaf shutter mechanisms and need to reach a spring or push a gear/lever somewhere.
- You are probably really wondering what this is for … it is to scrape off old leatherette.
Syringes and 18 gauge needles
- If you are applying oil, this will give you a precision applicator.
- If you are going to do any work on Barnack type rangefinders you will need one of these to get those rings off the range/viewfinder windows without damaging them.
- This one gets used a lot for most lens disassemblies, and also with some other ring screws that may be used in camera bodies.
- If you are just going to get one … get straight long legged.
Retaining ring pliers
Rubber lens ring tool set
- Another one those really handy tools for lens disassembly.
Lens filter ring vise
- I got this as an Xmas gift. I have used it twice.
- Great to scrub in those hard to reach places
Dremel power tool
Soldering iron and silver solder
Rare earth magnet wide – to find those damn small screws when they fall on the floor.
Sheets of thin felt and foam
- When you need to replace those dried out seals
Shutter curtain material
Sheets and pre-cut leatherette
- eBay seller hobby-nexus-supplies (note the name change)
- eBay seller milly120786
- I noted a new eBay seller from China – louw2008, but I have not dealt with them yet.
- … and another one on eBay – hugoscameracover and they also have a website http://www.hugostudio.com/index.html ( … rangefinder forum says they are good source ).
Rosonol (lighter fluid)
- This is one thing that is always used for cleaning … especially shutters.
Residual oil remover / lens cleaning solution
Acrylic paint pen
Black restoration tincture (from eBay seller hobby-nexus out of Poland)