A little note about my methodology …

In some of my postings you may notice that the images don’t exactly look like I am documenting the disassembly process … well you are right.

This is what I do …

  1. First I look at the item to figure out what is defective (visually).
  2. Read the manual (if possible).
  3. I exercise the mechanical parts … figure out what does not work.
  4. I look at any glass elements that need cleaning.
  5. Research how to take it apart … failing that I make a guess.
  6. Take apart and clean lens
  7. Take apart something else … figure out how it works mechanically.
  8. Continue to take things apart
  9. Put it back together
  10. Make sure it is working properly
  11. Take it apart again
  12. Start documenting in reverse.

Since my blog posts of the servicing is in reverse, and I explain it un-reversed, it sometimes does not come out clearly if you are disassembling the item from an assembled state.

… and I also forget to take pictures of things before I re-assemble it, and I really don’t want to take it apart a third time (though sometimes you finish only to realize that something is not working right … or you are left with a part or two that were forgotten … I hate when I can’t figure out where the part went).


Mamiya Six type III

This Mamiya Six came as needing some cleaning.

The first thing I noted upon receiving the camera was that the remaining leather covering needed to be removed … which is too bad as it is embossed with the Mamiya labeling. The bellow were fairly worn in the corners and had some yellow mold growing on it. Time to strip it down and completely clean it.

The first thing is to take off the lens. Open the back and use the spanner wrench to loosen the circular retaining nut.

Open the front to extract the lens.

Continue to unscrew the circular retaining nut and then pull the lens off.

The lenses looked fogged so I had to take it apart … and also it give a good opportunity to clean out the shutter gears.

The front cell just unscrews counter clock wise.

The front cell has an outer cover. Loosen the screw in the side then pull it off.

The front cell can then be unscrewed counter clockwise.

Use a rubber tool to unscrew the front element. You can now clean these.

Flip the shutter over.

The rear cell also just unscrews.

Remove it.

Clean the lens.

This image shows the front cell (in the upper left).

To get at the shutter gears … unscrew the thin retaining nut.

Pull off the cover.

Remove the shutter speed cam.

Remove the outer dial.

The lower set is the self timer.

The set in the upper right is the slow shutter speed.

Put some Ronsonol on everything.

Exercise the shutter and aperture.

You can clean crud off the shutter and aperture blades.

Put it back together and set aside.

Open the back.

The film/focus guide moves in/out with the focusing.

It is held in by two tension springs.

Pull the film guide out at the top. You will be able to see that the springs are clipped on.

Gently pull the spring off the clips.

Remove the two springs.

Clean out the back.

The bellows is held onto the body with four retaining clips that are accessible from the back. It is also glued to the the body. Carefully separate it from the inside … don’t just pull it off.

I examined for light leaks using a flashlight … inside and outside.

Patch any holes with liquid electrical tape.

The leather was quite worn so I used a tincture that worked quite well on blackening and also conditioned the leather so it was softer.

Maybe I should have used the tincture first before fixing the holes.

Now lets look inside the top.

The winding knob is removed by unscrewing it counter clock wise.

Take off the single screw to remove the cap.

Four screws around the outer edges need to be removed in order to pull off the top. Flip it over and clean the inside.

The counter dial on the left can just be pulled off. There is a spring underneath it.

Turn the focus dial and note how everything moves.


The lens release button and the shutter button are not secured to anything so you can just pull them off.

View front the front showing the light path.


Clean the mirror, silvered glass, and all other things up there including the red exposure warning arm.

Put the top back on.

Clean out the front door and mechanisms.

Glue the bellows back on and put on retaining clips.

Screw on the front shutter/lens.

Put the film/focus guide back on.

I stripped off all the old leather … the front square piece has the S M logo on it so I made sure to keep it as intact as possible.

I put new leatherette on the body … I recommend  semi soft leather / leatherette as there are curves/bends in the body. I shined up the rusty chrome metal on the front which reveals the brass underneath … I did not do this for the rest of the body so I left the rust there.

Yeah the S M leather piece doesn’t exactly fit with the leatherette, but it needed to be there.

Sadly my Mamiya Six is missing two parts … one the springs holding the film/focus plate is missing and one the knobs on the bottom (to release the film spools) is also missing.

I figure I can make a spring but the knob is something I cannot reproduce.

Time to find a parts camera to complete it.